×

Pellegrino and Faurel revel in RG qualification

Prestigious main draw spots are the top prize on offer this week at Porte d’Auteuil.

Andrea Pellegrino / Troisième tour de qualifications - Roland-Garros 2026
 - Alex Sharp

Andrea Pellegrino had to take a moment, sitting on his bench, crying into his towel following a career-defining moment.

The 29-year-old had just booked his first Grand Slam main draw ticket at his 17th attempt at coming through qualifying, beating compatriot Marco Cecchinato 7-6(5), 6-2.

“It feels amazing, it’s a dream come true," the world No.126 said. "Every young kid playing tennis wants to play this tournament.”

“It’s a new feeling, it doesn’t feel real. I’m so happy to be in the main draw of a Grand Slam for the first time. I’ll play best of five (sets) for the first time, I’ve never played that in my life.

“It’s all a new, great experience and I’m very excited.”

Pellegrino’s season had been interrupted by a lower back issue spanning two months, but that hadn't derailed the Italian. Just before jetting to Paris, he qualified for his first Masters 1000 main draw on home clay in Rome.

“Being here with my latest results is crazy,” said Pellegrino, who advanced to the Rome fourth round with wins over Luca Nardi and Frances Tiafoe.

“I’m working really, really hard the past two years," he continued. "I’ve always believed in myself and right now I feel great in my body, in my mind, my mentality. I think everyone needs their own time to figure out the results. If you work hard every week you will eventually get rewarded.”

Pellegrino was halted in Rome by compatriot Jannik Sinner, and he would welcome a shot at revenge against the world No.1 in Paris.

“Of course, if I play on a big court with a top seed, it’s going to be tough, but an experience I want. I try to do my best every day and this would test me. We’ll see.”

Andrea Pellegrino / Troisième tour de qualifications - Roland-Garros 2026

Over on Court Suzanne-Lenglen there was home delight as Frenchman Thomas Faurel also booked a Grand Slam debut with a commanding 6-2, 6-3 win over No.8 seed Dalibor Svrcina.

There was a party atmosphere at the end with Faurel soaking up the well-deserved applause and creating a heart shape with his hands to pay tribute to the vociferous crowd.

“It's incredible, I can't find words,” the 20-year-old said. “There was a fabulous atmosphere. At the beginning of the second set, I felt exhausted, I had the feeling I was gonna die on the court. But I played a good point and the crowd went mad so I was locked in again.

“It's the result of my day-to-day work," he added. "I never back down and I'm very happy that it pays off here in front of you all. There is nothing better.”

The Grand Slam debut theme continued throughout the action on Thursday.

Italy’s teenage prodigy Federico Cina defeated Alexis Galarneau with a three-hour 5-7, 6-2, 7-5 comeback to break new ground.

Bolivia’s Juan Carlos Prado Angelo was also taken the distance to earn his major stripes by toppling No.4 seed Coleman Wong 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.

Twelve months ago, Great Britain’s Toby Samuel was ranked outside the world’s top 1,300. The 23-year-old will now compete in a first Grand Slam as reward for his 5-7, 6-1, 6-3 victory over Peru’s Gonzalo Bueno.

Juan Carlos Prado Angelo / Troisième tour de qualifications - Roland-Garros 2026

Elsewhere, Jaime Faria backed up his dismissal of former world No.3 Grigor Dimitrov with a 6-3, 7-6(9) tussle against Lukas Neumayer.

2024-2025 NCAA college tennis champion Michael Zheng will take his Roland-Garros main draw place after posting a 7-5, 6-3 triumph over top seed Jesper de Jong.

Argentine fans also had reason to celebrate as Facundo Diaz Acosta roared back 6-7(2), 6-4, 6-2 against August Holmgren to extend his stay in Paris.

Federico Cina / Troisième tour de qualifications - Roland-Garros 2026