In 2001, this court was renamed after one of the French Tennis Federation’s most emblematic presidents, Philippe Chatrier, who occupied the role for twenty years from 1973 to 1993.
This is undoubtedly the most legendary court in Roland Garros stadium. It has been the venue for some of the tournament’s most historic events: Björn Borg’s six titles, Yannick Noah’s win in 1983, Rafael Nadal’s nine triumphs, Steffi Graf’s six victories… Created in 1928, when Roland Garros stadium itself was originally built to host the final of the Davis Cup between France and the USA, this court has since undergone various large-scale refurbishments. The most recent was back in 2008, when the former Stand C was rebuilt. On this occasion, the court’s four stands were renamed after each of the four “Mousquetaires”, who won the Davis Cup on six occasions (from 1927 to 1932): Jacques Brugnon, Henri Cochet, René Lacoste and Jean Borotra. This court can seat up to 14,911 people.
With its Press Centre and players’ area (which includes the players’ lounge, changing rooms and catering area), Philippe Chatrier Court is one of the nerve centres of the tournament. It also houses a large part of the French Tennis Federation offices all year round.
As part of the New Roland Garros Stadium project, Centre Court’s capacity will remain at 15,000 seats, but the stands will be rearranged to make them more comfortable and to give the spectators better visibility. New areas will be created underneath the stands for the players and the media. But the most striking change will be the retractable roof!
© Eric Dellatorre-FFT